He is on an advisory body to the Queen, works as an environmental campaigner and is credited with integrating Canada's armed forces.
But aside from all this, the ex-Canadian defence minister says UFOs are real, aliens have visited Earth and the U.S. government is covering up information about them.
Paul Hellyer says he would probably get fired for his views if he was still Canada's Minister of National Defense today, but is adamant he has seen UFOs himself.
The 87-year-old, who is the longest-serving member of the Queen's Privy Council for Canada, said he never discussed his views with top officials when he was in office.
‘This is the kind of thing that sometimes they don't tell politicians about,’ he said.
‘I have no doubt that there were probably people in my employ who would have been more knowledgeable than I was at the time.’
‘I got periodic reports on sightings and I looked at them very casually. It was decided that about 80 per cent of them were natural phenomena of one sort or another and the other 20 per cent roughly were unexplained and therefore unidentified.’
Paul Hellyer: The ex-Canadian Minister of National Defense says he is convinced that UFOs are real and alleges the U.S. has covered up information on them
Mr Hellyer is presenting his views on UFOs this week at the International UFO Congress in Scottsdale, Arizona, and says he is ‘convinced’ of their existence.
‘We lived too long in a sense of isolation, thinking that Earth was the centre of the cosmos, that we were the only species and, therefore, probably the most advanced.'
‘And when we come to the realisation that we're not any of those things, then I think we should be aware of it (and) learn to live with it,' he told AOL News.
Mr Hellyer claims to have seen a UFO with his wife when spending last Thanksgiving near Toronto, and they stared at the sky for 20 minutes watching it moving.
He told AOL: ‘By process of elimination, we determined it wasn't a star or satellite and it wasn't the space station, so there was really no explanation for it other than it was, in fact, a UFO. It looked like a star, but it manoeuvred in a way that stars don't.’
He believes the U.S. has developed new forms of energy at secret ‘black operation’ units using alien technology and that a ‘shadow government’ is behind this activity.
Apollo 14 astronaut Edgar Mitchell, founder of the Institute of Noetic Sciences research group, has described Mr Hellyer's theory as an 'important contribution' to literature.
Reading starter topic I'd say Paul Hellyer is basically truthful about Canada's and US awareness regarding alien visitors, and about governments witholding such information.
Paradoxically, the fact he's been saying this for some time now, yet the official stance remains the same: there's nothing to the UFO phenomenon, to me suggests that the U.S. gov in particular is convinced that keeping info on ETs/Aliens/UFOs secret is a matter of National Security. Releasing it could create a panic, confuse certain conservative groups, and above all add more to global economic troubles.
A man of Trachis' warning:
"When the Barbarians discharge their arrows they obscure the light of the sun by the multitude of the arrows"
Dienekes of Sparta's reply:
"Good news, for if the Medes obscure the light of the sun, the battle against them will be in the shade"
~Dienekes, Battle of Thermopylae 480 BCE [Herodotus 7.226]
Paradoxically, the fact he's been saying this for some time now, yet the official stance remains the same: there's nothing to the UFO phenomenon, to me suggests that the U.S. gov in particular is convinced that keeping info on ETs/Aliens/UFOs secret is a matter of National Security.
60+ years of research into this enigma by highly intelligent people has come up with absolutely no facts what so ever suggests to me they are telling the truth: there's nothing to the UFO phenomenon & know as many facts as we do; which of course (in the real world) is none at all!!
If I remember Paul Kimball's comments correctly, Hellyer is not particularly well regarded in his native Canada (he's considered a bit of a whack-job). So, I'm not sure his opinion on UFOs or anything else should carries a lot of weight.
"The more is given, the less the people will work for themselves - and the less they work, the more their poverty will increase." -- Leo Tolstoy
well now wait a minute,Im saying that the governments dont know and I say KNOW much more than we do.I stick by that.How could they actually KNOW anything.They cant,they can only guess and it looks like theve chosen to ignore the whole phenomenon.
If they came out and said they were friendly would you believe them?
If they came out and said they were hostile,would you believe them?
If they said theres no such thing as aien abduction,would you believe them?
If they came out and said that alien abduction IS occuring,would you believe them?
What would they have as actual facts to back up their claims? Right..